Paraprofessional-Special Education Job Description
Paraprofessional / Teacher Assistant
Classification: Support Staff, Nonexempt
Salary and Terms of Employment:
Hourly rate of pay
Reports to and Evaluated by: Building Principal
Date Adopted: 05/15/2018
Date Revised: 07/12/2019
The paraprofessional/teacher assistant position provides the primary teacher with support by assisting students in grasping daily lessons.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
- Assist in preparation of materials for classroom instruction.
- Assist in developing lesson plans.
- Adapt curriculum when necessary.
- Perform clerical and non-instructional duties as assigned such as grading student assignments.
- Keep daily records of performance, behavior, and academics.
- Prepare bulletin boards to enforce daily assignments.
- Assist students in completing instructional assignments.
- Work in small groups and/or with individual students to provide specialized assistance.
- Assist in “specials” classes (art, music, P.E., etc.) as needed.
- Some positions may need to assist with toiletry needs of students (changing diapers or clothing, etc.).
- Administer prescribed medication when designated by the school nurse.
- Provide care for student according to a health plan when applicable.
- Perform support duties as assigned (lunch duty, recess and playground supervision, bus duty, etc.).
- Attend professional development trainings.
- Substitute for other paraprofessionals/assistants occasionally.
- Obtain CDE substitute authorization and sub for instructional staff (on occasion) if determined eligible.
- Special Education Paraprofessionals - attend student IEP meetings upon request, track and adhere to IEP goals, meet with Special Education Service Providers and assist with their goals
- All other duties as assigned.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Decision Making.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Learning Orientation.
- Time Management.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This position operates in school classroom (environment). The position has mostly an inside work environment and occasional outside work with exposure to weather conditions. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and copy machines. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but occasionally loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Certain positions within the District may impose additional physical demands. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices, and other office equipment, and reach with hands and arms. The work requires the ability to speak normally, to use normal or aided vision and hearing, and to detect odors. The employee may also need to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is frequently required to exert average or above average physical activities in the Special Education programs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has the potential to encounter unpredictable and aggressive students and may need to implement Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) de-escalation and restraint techniques.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Hours of work determined by needs of the district.
9-month position as per Ridgway School District annual approved calendar.
At-will position subject to approval or ratification by the Board of Education annually.
Travel is primarily local between the school campuses and grounds.
Required Education and Qualifications
- High school diploma/GED/HSED
- Special Education Paraprofessionals must meet highly qualified requirements (associate’s degree or higher or can become HQ by passing a paraprofessional assessment)
- Some Paraprofessional / Assistant positions require current Red Cross First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Previous experience as a paraprofessional and/or experience with special education students.
- Associate’s degree or higher.
- Basic technology skills.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee of this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job description has been approved by Ridgway School District administration:
Employee signature below constitutes employee’s understanding of the requirements, essential functions and duties of the position.
Nondiscrimination/Equal Opportunity Statement: In compliance with Titles VI & VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, and Colorado law, Ridgway School District does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth, disability, or need for special education services in admissions, access to, treatment, or employment in educational programs or activities which it operates.
Outside agencies: Complaints regarding violations of Title VI, (race, national origin), Title IX (sex/gender), Section 504/ADA (handicap or disability), may be filed directly with the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 North Speer Blvd., Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204. Complaints regarding violations of Title VII (employment) and the ADEA (prohibiting age discrimination in employment) may be filed directly with the Federal Office of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 303 E. 17th Ave., Suite 510, Denver, CO 80202, or the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1050, Denver, CO 80202.